Ethernet connections

Miscellaneous hardware discussion

Ethernet connections

Postby jg65 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:58 am

I was curious about the ethernet solution posted on the website notes. I couldn't find the Sena website with any information on the ethernet adapter. Brady informed me that the new site is http://www.senaindustrial.com. Looks like a nice piece of gear for this purpose.
Has anyone used this with a RUG3? Results?
jg65

Re: Ethernet connections

Postby willp » Wed May 28, 2014 7:57 am

jg65:

I haven't used the Sena device servers but I currently employ Digi PortServer TS device servers for Wonderware to Rug9 Modbus communications. These support ModbusTCP/IP encapsulation allowing a single IP address to access multiple R9s based on the Modbus address in the Wonderware IO server, e.g. Address 51 to serial port 1, 52 to port 2, etc and will not pass modbus commands to unintended target ports. I have been successfully doing this for 4 years with no issues.

My Rug9's all use either mode 4 or 6 (MBslave or MBslave2), the Digi PortServer strips off the ModbusTCP/IP packet and just hands Modbus to the serial port.

Sena devices may also support this but I could not find the term 'modbus' in either the LS100 or LS110 manuals. My guess would be the Rugid com mode would have to be 11 or 12 using the Sena devices to allow the Rugid to deal with the TCP/IP packet.

Previously, we used the same Digi PortServer devices but had them installed to a particular PC as virtual com ports, which worked but required a specific configuration on the PC making failover clumsy and could only work with one PC at a time. I now use Wonderware DASMBTCP DAServer, which I can install on mulitple machines and have hot standby between two tag servers.

Hope this helps,

-Will
willp

Return to Miscellaneous